Wednesday 7 October 2015

Twilight Reimagined: Worth Reading or Just Another Moneyspinner?



Before I start, let me just say that I am a fan of the Twilight series - the first three books at least. I mean Breaking Dawn was kind of a mess. Like a lot of people, Twilight is what got me reading YA. It also helped me rediscover my love of reading after completing a college degree that kinda knocked the fun out of reading for me (in an 'I don't ever want to see another book again' sort of way! Ahem). So, I thank Twilight and Stephenie Meyer for that. I'm not here to diss Twilight by any means.

But...

I heard the news yesterday that in celebration of the tenth anniversary of Twilight (can you believe it's been ten years already?!) Meyer has written a gender-swapped reimagining of the book. Say what? That's right. In this gender-swapped retelling Bella Swan is a boy named Beau (short for Beaufort) and Edward Cullen is now a female vampire called Edythe. Meyer picks all the best names, doesn't she? Edythe?! I presume it's pronounced Edith, which is quite a nice name - Meyer just happened to pick not a very nice spelling of said name. At least it's not as bad as Renesmee, hey!

I didn't know this but apparently the other characters in Twilight have been gender-swapped too: Jacob is now Julie, Alice is Archie, and Rosalie is now, er, Royal (?!)  Bella, I mean, Beau's parents remain unchanged due to "custody reasons".


This is what Meyer had to say about writing the reimagined book:  (It was) “fun, but also really fast and easy.” Ka-ching!

Also, this:  (Meyer wanted to)  "dispel the notion that Bella was a stereotypical damsel in distress who found self-worth in the arms of a handsome man."


On hearing the news of this gender-swapped reimagining of Twilight I initially thought it was an April Fool's joke, uh,  in October. I really did. Because I don't really see the point of this? Meyer has already written (the never released) Midnight Sun, which is Twilight from Edward's point-of-view - and now this. I'm pretty sure she was writing a mermaid book at one point, but that doesn't seem to be happening, nor does the long-awaited sequel to The Host.   Maybe Meyer will just keep on rewriting Twilight from different points-of-view for eternity. I really don't know. Perhaps Renesmee will get her own book in a few years time? Wait. Does this book mean that Renesmee never happens and we can forget about all that imprinting shizz?! Was that the whole point of this?! Yes?!!

I can't say that I'm all that curious about reading Twilight Reimagined (never say never!) - but I have read a spoiler regarding the ending of this book, and I like what she did there. Ha!

So, what do you think about all of this? If you've already read Twilight Reimagined I'd love to hear your thoughts!






Additional info & quotes: Ew.com

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!

If you are a book blogger and have taken the time to comment, I will make sure to come visit your blog and return the favour. :)

Please note: This blog is now an award free zone. Thanks to everyone who has awarded the blog in the past.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts with Thumbnails View My Stats